A 3 Stage Approach for Adopting Modern Management and Security
When global events caused companies to make a rapid pivot to remote work, IT had no choice but to act fast. No matter where they were on the path to digital transformation, IT organizations across industries were responsible for onboarding a large number of employees onto new devices, managing a bigger population of distributed users, and keeping them all connected and secure.
For teams still using traditional PC lifecycle management methods on their Windows devices, these new demands quickly became a massive headache—making it clear that a legacy approach is no longer adequate. IT teams taking a modern, cloud-native approach for managing their Windows 10 PCs find themselves in a better position to meet changing workspace demands.
Modern management enables faster adaptation
When remote work was limited to a fraction of the employee population, most IT teams treated it as an exception. But instant, widespread adoption quickly revealed inadequacies and gaps in infrastructure, support, and security—along with rapidly escalating costs. It also revealed how much employee experience can fluctuate amid changing workplace conditions, and how critical good experiences are to keeping the business moving forward.
Windows 10 modern management gives IT the ability to better meet the needs of end users no matter where they are located, making it easier to adapt as your distributed workforce grows or changes.
Whether you’re already familiar with modern management, or just getting started, this sample journey illustrates how you can build value at every step. For instance, you can gain immediate value through it in the Respond phase, grow your use of it through Adapt, and continue to evolve and grow in Accelerate. These phases can be taken concurrently, in parallel, or out of order; this is just one example of how companies are navigating the transformation.
Phase 1: Respond
Focus on the immediate needs of employees
With modern management, you can:
1. Onboard employees faster by drop-shipping devices
2. Give employees fast, simple access to apps they need for work
Phase 2: Adapt
Manage and secure your device fleet more effectively
Modern management helps you create a solid foundation for Windows Anywhere with the ability to:
Integrate management and security
As a result, you are able to:
- Leverage intrinsic Zero Trust architecture to secure users, endpoints, apps, and networks, across any cloud or device.
- Secure the business and gain the visibility needed to detect, identify, and prevent threats.
- Benefit from industry-leading modern management and threat detection and response, for an intrinsic approach to endpoint security that ensures secure application access.
- Keep endpoints protected with intelligence and automation; activate auto approval for key updates or granularly target updates to specific users or groups.
Phase 3: Accelerate
Achieve ongoing transformation
1. Develop a long-term initiative to cultivate employee experience
Happier employees lead to better business results
2. Seize opportunities to accelerate security initiatives
Use these questions to start an internal analysis:
- Do you have a clearly articulated public cloud strategy? Which applications have you already migrated to the cloud—and which ones should come next?
- Are you having difficulty managing and updating endpoint protection on remote devices?
- Is growth in virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and VPN making a downstream impact on your network load?
- Is your remote workforce being impacted by sluggish consumer broadband when accessing mission critical applications?
What does a Future Ready Workforce mean for IT?
From onboarding to everyday workflows, modern management helps IT improve employee experiences for everyone, whether they’re working at home, on the road, or in the office. With intelligent insights and automation, you can improve device health while identifying opportunities to reduce IT costs, improve security, and optimize experiences.
As your IT organization adapts to a changing world, VMware Future Ready Workforce Solutions help you quickly achieve the benefits of a digital workspace and seamlessly support the business.
- VMware Workspace Security provides the most advanced endpoint security combined with integrated insights and app analytics. It not only protects data and endpoints, but also provides the visibility and compliance that keeps the business in motion.
- VMware Workspace ONE allows you to provide a consistent, unified workspace across any computing environment—mobile, desktop, special purpose, or virtual—for workfrom-home employees and everyone else.
Adapted from this VMware White Paper.