A number of IT professionals joined us for an event with HP and VMware to discuss the fundamentals of storage system architecture and the key topics of VMworld 2014. If you happened to have missed the event or are curious on what was discussed, read the presentation overview and download the slides, below, to use as a reference.
System Hardware Architecture Matters
Traditional Modular Storage has always been cost efficient but works with an active-passive, dual-controller design that is limited in scalability and resiliency. Traditional Monolithic Storage is scalable, resilient and has an active-active design but is costly to any organization. These traditional storage plays might not meet multi-tenant requirements efficiently.
HP 3PAR Architecture is cost-effective, scalable, resilient, meshed, and has an active-active architecture. This solution meets cloud-computing requirements for efficiency, multi-tenancy and autonomic management. The fail-over is almost instantaneous because no single controller owns a LUN individually. All nodes have access to all resources, so each LUN is managed through all controllers.
- Multi-tenant performance: 3PAR IO Handling (ASIC + CPU’s) control information and data are pathed and processed separately. Priority optimization provides policy based QoS.
- Traditional storage IO Processing: small IOPs wait for large IOPs to be processed, no IO prioritization.
- 3PAR Deduplication: inline – scalable – fast
HW deduplication express indexing and thin clones all because of the ASIC that makes the SSD last longer for your business. The unique 3PAR ASIC has built-in zero detection that delivers:
- Simplicity – No special host software required.
- Zeroes detected and unmapped at line speeds
- Integrated automated reclamation with T10 SCSI Unmap/Trim (e.g. Windows 2012, vSphere (manual), Linux), VAAI (write same zero).
Each RAID level requires dedicated drives on the traditional array. A dedicated spare disk is required and has limited single LUN performance with necessary dedicated pool drives. The HP 3PAR flash storage and virtualization advantage includes simplicity of all RAID levels able to reside on the same drives. Sparing is distributed requiring no dedicated spare drives. The solution includes built-in wide-striping based on Chunklets and no pools and reservations required.
HP is bringing their A game with their 3PAR all flash arrays, our storage specialists are always available to answer additional questions and set up appointments to discuss next steps.
VMworld 2014 was a great event chock full of new announcements from VMware.
Cloud Services Announcements
- Fail over to VMware cloud solution for Disaster Recovery as a Service.
- VMware Horizon Desktop as a Service: no hardware- virtual desktop environment in the cloud (monthly recurring cost).
- Hints at a Database as a Service coming: not official, but this solution can expect to have top providers offering single stacks to run your databases.
- Pay as you go offering is coming: instead of buying entire ESX licenses, you will only be charged for the amount of compute you use in a monthly period or so.
End-user computing announcements
- Unified architecture of VDI and application publishing (DaaS).
- The partnership between Google, NVIDIA and VMware.
- Ability to utilize massive graphics applications on next-gen Chromebooks.
- Mobility Management: not just about app management, it is about content management.
- Integration ofCloudVolumes:
- Anywhere, Anytime, Unified Access to All Content
- Hybrid Deployment
- Enterprise Security
SDDC: Improve Agility. Reduce Cost.
Time taken to provision datacenter services improves from physical provisioning (10 weeks) to virtualization software defined compute (5 days) to the software-defined datacenter (15 minutes). Policy-based deployment of VMs sets guidelines for workflows and efficiently defines duties for servers, storage and the network without consuming time for collaboration. Benefits achieved by SDDC (total customer base):
- Decreased IT labor costs by 1/3
- Hardware maintenance by 1/2
- Tier 1 app downtime by 40%
- Time to build and provision new apps by 1/2
Most businesses are running clouds internally on a private cloud- operated solely for an agency typically within the firewall for greater control over security, compliance and QoS. The private cloud is easier to integrate and supports existing applications. On the public cloud side, service providers offer cloud services accessible over various networks for customer consumption, but varies in control and security. Hybrid cloud is the bridge between the private and public cloud, where many organizations are interested in being. This service enables data and application portability through the composition of two or more interoperable clouds, providing:
- Optimal cost efficiency
- Federated security model
- Integrated management
- Open standards for mobility
Hybrid cloud allows the security and control of your internal cloud with the flexibility to expand into the public cloud when necessary, including short-term jobs and additional VM deployment. Understanding the cloud can introduce a fog of information. Don't get caught in the storm, speak with one of our cloud specialists for more information.
Be sure to subscribe to our blog for important industry news and information for upcoming events. Click the link below to download the slides from the event for additional information on these topics.